It has been 100 years since the Russian revolution and 65 years since Queen Elizabeth’s accession but together they don’t come close to when The Scotsman was launched.
This month sees the newspapers 200th anniversary so here we look at where the stories were written along the way and what the buildings are used for now.
It all began on 25 January, 1817 when solicitor, William Ritchie and customs official, Charles Maclaren launched the newspaper at 347 High Street. The building is now used for self-catering apartments and although it has slightly changed in appearance, there is no sign to show it was once The Scotsman’s headquarters unlike other offices.
In 1860 they moved just three minutes around the corner into 30 Cockburn Street which was designed by Peddie and Kinnear. It is no longer an office and was renovated into a hotel called The Inn Place, but a sign of The Scotsman’s masthead remains below the second-floor windows.
On 19 December, 1904, the paper moved premises for the second time, again just minutes away to North Bridge where it also had connected printworks. They were based at North Bridge for almost 100 years.
The large building is now a luxury Edinburgh hotel called The Scotsman and it also still has the masthead on the building.
In 1999, The Scotsman, Scotland on Sunday and the Evening News moved to new purpose-built offices at Barclay House.
The offices are now the home of Rockstar North, formerly called Rockstar Studios, the computer games company behind the Grand Theft Auto series.
The paper is currently based at Orchard Brae House on Queensferry road and have been there since 2014 along with its sister titles, Scotland on Sunday, and the Edinburgh Evening News.
We can only wonder when and what their premises will be in the years to come but looking back, there is a chance that it could be made into a hotel.