Scottish Premier League – Midweek round-up

Rangers closed the gap between themselves and third placed Aberdeen to three points with a 2-0 victory at Partick Thistle last night.

Goals either side of the break from Josh Windass and James Tavernier was enough to secure the three points for Graham Murty’s side.

Partick Thistle started the brighter of the two sides with Connor Sammon causing problems up front.  Jags manager Alan Archibald will have been left wondering what might have been with his side’s pressure forcing Rangers into making early mistakes.

As time passed, Rangers began to gain more control with Jason Holt commanding the midfield.

Thistle thought they had broke the deadlock when Ryan Edwards latched onto Sammon’s flick on but his powerful volley was ruled out for offside.  The decision was contested by Archibald with TV replays showing a tight call.

The scoring was opened with a slick counter-attack with Candeias playing a lovely first-time cross with Windass smashing home the finish.

A strike off the post from Sammon just before half time was the best chance Thistle missed to get back into the game.

In the second half, James Tavernier ensured the Teddy Bears would be going home with all three points with a spectacular curled-strike into the top corner.

Thistle put up a valiant effort but were outdone by a superior Rangers side.



Two late goals secured a 2-0 win over St Johnstone to break into the top six in the Scottish Premiership.

St Johnsotne had won 8 out of the 11 previous meetings with Motherwell and it was the Saints who started the better side.

Stefan Cougall was proving tough to handle for the opening 20 minutes, before picking up an injury after landing awkwardly.

It was a lacklustre first half performance from the Well, yet they did create the best chance when Curtis Main had his strike from outside the box strike off the bar and over.

After the break, Motherwell came to life, created much more going forward with Main being the forefront.

Motherwell eventually made the breakthrough following good work on the left.  Rose then laid the ball across for Campbell to convert in the six-yard box – his first goal since April.

Main’s hard work deserved a goal and he was duly rewarded.  Richard Tait won the ball just outside the Saints box, who then served the ball through to Main.  He swivelled and put his left-foot shot beyond Saints keeper Mannus.

The win means well overtake Kilmarnock into sixth, although the Ayrshire side have three games in hand over the Lanarkshire side.



Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: