Queen Margaret University Students told to self-isolate in halls after positive COVID-19 case

A number of Queen Margaret university students have been told to self-isolate in student accommodation after one person tested positive case of COVID-19.

Students were told to attend classes as normal unless they were contacted.

Students were contacted yesterday afternoon detailing that those who are required to self-isolate had already been informed. They have been advised that they should continue to attend classes as normal unless they had been told otherwise.

In an email sent by the university, students were told that activities within the university as normal,

“A number of people have been contacted because they may have been in close and sustained contact with the case and will need to self-isolate,” it said.
“We are working closely with the NHS Lothian Health Protection Team and following all national guidance.”

Bainfield Accommodation struck by Covid-19

Edinburgh remains a major university city, filled with thousands of new and returning students each year. However, amid this pandemic, a cluster of Covid-19 has been found in one of Edinburgh Napier’s halls of residency.

The university has since been in contact via email to all students warning those of the COVID outbreak, ensuring people follow the necessary guidelines if they have visited Bainfield this September.

Reporter Karina Caulfield spoke to 21-year-old Naomi Walkey, a TV student who is currently in isolation at Bainfield Accommodation. She reveals how her daily life and university work has been affected as well as how the university has been tackling the situation.

Napier students continue to self-isolate following COVID outbreak in student halls

Students are isolating in Bainfield Photo: Amie McCrostie

Residents at Bainfield student accommodation continue to isolate following covid outbreak earlier in the week.

The number of cases on Friday was said to be 11 but is likely to be higher with students having tested positive since then.

Naomi Walkey, 21, who is a student currently self-isolating in Bainfield after her flatmate tested positive on Sunday, feels the university could have acted sooner.

The TV student said, “They delayed actually telling us there were cases in the building.

“It could have been dealt with a lot quicker in terms of letting people know exactly what was going on.”

However, Naomi claims the university has responded well since the news of the outbreak with tests being made available to them and that little could have been done to prevent the outbreak.

“Since they have been in touch, communication has been pretty constant.

“There is only so much they can do, this is university and people are going to want to go out and party, it was inevitable something was going to happen.”

She also felt that in the future, more security at the entrances might be needed.

“Maybe hold people (visitors) at the door and tell them they can’t get in?”

Naomi also felt testing when students moved in might have helped.

“It would’ve been a good idea (testing), but at the same time getting the number of tests and making sure everyone’s doing it might have been a difficult process.”

Napier refused to comment on the outbreak but have advised students on social media to stick to government guidelines by sticking to groups of six from no more than two households.

They have also encouraged students not to leave their rooms should they develop symptoms or if they have been told to self-isolate.

Napier are also offering free support to self-isolating students who are struggling mentally, with online counselling and activities.

Similar clusters have also been revealed in universities across Scotland with Aberdeen, Glasgow, Dundee, Abertay, St Andrew’s and most recently Queen Margaret’s all confirming positive cases in their halls of residency.

First Minister Nicola Sturgeon has also pleaded that students stick to the guidelines, especially if they have been told to self-isolate after Scotland suffered the biggest daily number of cases on Wednesday.

This week’s newest restrictions

With spikes in cases rapidly rising in the UK, further restrictions have been made in Scotland in order to decrease the spread of Coronavirus.

So, what exactly has changed this week in comparison to last?

Households

You can no longer visit other households in their homes as of Wednesday 23 September, this will become law from Friday onwards.

Exemptions to this include couples from two different households, extended households who have made arrangement for child support and tradesmen who are allowed to enter homes to carry out work.

This is an alternative to England’s ‘rule of six’ which is still in place for indoor and outdoor gatherings.

Indoor Hospitality

However, you can still meet up to six people from two different households in a restaurant, pub or bar but there is now a 22:00 curfew on indoor and outdoor venues.

Everyone, including staff and customers, is now required by law to wear a face-covering when out of their seat at all hospitality venues.

Outdoor gatherings

You can meet up to six people from two different households outdoors, including private back gardens.
There is no restriction on the number of children under the age of 12 who can meet outdoors together such as a playground at school.

People aged between 12 and 18 can meet outdoors in groups of up to 6 and are exempt from the two-household restriction.

Travel

There are currently no restrictions on how far you can travel in Scotland, however non-essential foreign travel is not advised.

Nicola Sturgeon said that the latest restrictions will be up for review in three weeks, but it is likely that they will be extended beyond that time period.

Newest Coronavirus restrictions in Scotland


Reporter Jessica Cleland relays the Scottish Governments newest coronavirus restrictions.

In Scotland, you are no longer allowed to visit other households inside their homes or meet other households in your home. This will be the law as of Friday.

Those exempt are those with extended households – for supporting informal childcare support – couples who live apart and tradespeople entering your home for work purposes.

There will also be a new curfew for bars and restaurants forcing them to shut at 10pm.

Mackay resignation, Coronavirus and Lothian Buses – EN4 News’ Owen Garner with today’s headlines

Owen Garner explains the headlines across some of today’s major newspapers, as former Scottish Finance Secretary Derek Mackay resigns and Coronavirus continues to wreak havoc.

Two cases of coronavirus confirmed in the UK

 

Two cases of coronavirus have been confirmed in the UK, Public Health England have said.

The patients are members of the same family and are receiving medical care in England, the organisation added.

“We can confirm that two patients in England, who are members of the same family, have tested positive for coronavirus,” said Professor Chris Whitty, chief medical officer for England.

“The patients are receiving specialist NHS care, and we are using tried and tested infection control procedures to prevent further spread of the virus.

“We have been preparing for UK cases of novel coronavirus and we have robust infection control measures in place to respond immediately.”

The coronavirus is reported to have infected nearly 9,700 people in China and killed 213.

Although there is yet to be any reported deaths outside of China itself, an estimate of 100 more infections have been reported in 18 other countries, including Vietnam, Germany, Japan and the United States, as well as now the United Kingdom.

On Thursday the World Health Organisation declared that it was treating the coronavirus as a global health emergency.

 

Coronavirus timeline

 

(Credit: EN4 News)

(Credit: EN4 News)

(Credit: EN4 News)

Video: Coronavirus declared as global emergency – EN4 News’ Owen Garner explains

Owen Garner gives us the latest on the Coronavirus, as the disease spreads worldwide, with 98 cases now being confirmed out-with China.

%d bloggers like this: